doc. 21 corr.1
25 October 1974
Original: Spanish


Findings of “on the spot” Observations in
the Republic of Chile
July 22 – August 2, 1974

         Dr. Aréchaga: By those individuals?


         Prisoner: Well, we didn't know. They put a hood over us so we couldn't see. (Other prisoners speak). Well we arrived there, and each of us was taken to different vehicles. We lost sight of each other and were transferred to different places. Some to regiments, others to the air force, one group to the police, where most of us were held incommunicado. Here of course the various groups will have to tell their story, because after more than two months, we came together again here. There was no interrogation, but there was the order from SENDET—as we were told by the Office of Prisons—for us to be held incommunicado. This of course is a very general statement, which I believe only reflects…


         Dr. Aréchaga: I would like to ask one question to complete the picture. I believe I have the answer, but of course, I would prefer to hear your reply. During all this time, have you had any contact with any judicial authority, either civil or military, who has interrogated you?


         Prisoner: Some of us. Of course, that is why I said that this first part is a very general statement regarding our detention. Now is the time for the individual cases. But as a group, we have not been interrogated by any judicial authority, either civil or military. We were interrogated in January, in Dawson, by officials of the Internal Revenue Service, the tax office—in January. And then two days ago, that is to say, almost six months later, they came to this camp to continue their interrogation about the same matters. I would like to know why we were interrogated. If there is a question of beginning proceedings with respect to that area, it would be a matter for regular courts to handle. It would certainly not be a matter for military courts, nor would the cases be political. So that on this aspect of our detention in various places after coming to Dawson Island, on our stay here, and on the particular case, I believe that the second question that we should consider, in addition to clarifying several things…


         Another prisoner speaks: A group of seven of us here are from Valparaiso. The seven of us were tortured on the ship “Esmeralda” for nine days. I want to explain one of the tortures that was applied to me. I was stripped to my shorts and my hands were handcuffed behind me. There was a post there and they tied me to it. They applied electric shock on my skin, on my testicles, on my chest and back. Also the officers who were interrogating me hit me 50 times in this part with their fists. All of this left me black and blue, as the Red Cross verified when they came to Dawson. They saw how all of this was left black and blue from the blows. Also I want to tell you the following: That was because—and I heard this—because the Naval Command had given orders to respect me, that is to say, not to torture me or to do anything to me. I am a Communist, I am a university professor. My name is Sergio Vuscovic Rojo, and I was the Mayor of Valparaiso. The Naval Command had given that order, and yet they did that to me. I also want to tell you that I was three and a half days alone in the Chaplain's stateroom… they wouldn't let me sleep there. I couldn't sleep for six days, because they woke me up every ten minutes night and day by slamming the door so I couldn't sleep. They also did the following to me: when I was taken for interrogation, they blindfolded me, and the guard who went with me put his pistol here on the back of the neck, and asked me: do you know how to swim? I answered: “Some”. “Good… because we're going to throw you overboard.” Then twenty or thirty persons were gathered together. I say persons because they were both men and women. We were wearing only underpants. We could hear how the others were tortured right there where you were. And all this was done to both men and women, in the training ship of the Chilean Navy (Interruption). The seven of us from Valparaiso were tortured in that way, electric shock was applied to us, for example. They applied current to me here on the temple, and all the while they were asking us if we had weapons, knowing perfectly well that we had no weapons, nobody had weapons. They asked whether we belonged to military groups—nobody belonged to military groups—and things of that kind. I therefore want to inform the Commission of all of this, and at the same time to make a formal denunciation in the case of the seven of us from Valparaiso and other companions who are here who have also been tortured. This is a complete violation of human rights, because the United Nations Charter on Human Rights prohibits physical and psychological torture, and we were subjected to both. (Interruption by another prisoner).


         Dr. Abranches: Can you give the names of the persons who took part in these acts?


         Prisoner: Yes (interruption).


         Dr. Aréchaga: Excuse me, I believe that Dr. Abranches is referring not to the persons who suffered the tortures, but whether you know who were the torturers.


         Prisoner: The problem is that we were blindfolded (interruption and another prisoner speaks) Actually, the seven of us from Valparaiso were horribly tortured. (A passage is omitted here from the verbatim transcript, because it identifies the prisoner)… On the basis of that, I was severely punished, beaten, constantly. I was struck with a rifle butt. They threw me under the bed. And made all of us who came out for breakfast eat kneeling on the floor, wearing only our shorts. The proof is that from the time I arrived, I urinated blood for 20 days. On the “Esmeralda” I began to urinate blood on the third day. They knew what was happening to me. I reached the island urinating blood, having been beaten as all of us were. I am perfectly familiar with the situation of the ship “Esmeralda,” because I was a sailor for 26 years. They were marine officers who dressed as sailors. In that way, they hid their identity, but I knew perfectly well that they were officers. And then there were the beatings that we were subjected to. Actually, we do not know who they were, because we were blindfolded, but the important thing is this: that we were terribly beaten. One of our companions arrived with a piece burned out of his tongue, and that happened to most of the prisoners from Valparaiso. Later, when we returned from Dawson, we were taken aboard a small plane, bound hand and foot, and blindfolded. When we reached Quintero, we were handcuffed and then placed on the floor of a station wagon to be taken to the concentration camp of Puchuncaví.


         Dr. Aréchaga: How long were you in Puchuncaví?


         Prisoner: A little over two months.


         Dr. Aréchaga: Were the living conditions there similar to those here?


         Prisoner: Yes. We cannot complain about Puchuncaví. We were treated fairly humanely there. It would be contrary to the truth if we said that we were treated inhumanely there.


         Dr. Aréchaga: So that actually you cannot identify in any way any of the persons who directly participated in these acts of torture? (Interruption, with all of the prisoners talking at once).


         Prisoner: I was not called in by any of the military edicts. I therefore did not turn myself in, and I was free from September 11 until October 10, when I was arrested in a house where I was lodging. I was arrested, of course, without being in possession of a single weapon, without there being any grounds to justify either my arrest or the treatment I was subjected to later. I was taken from there to the Military Academy, where there were others of our companions, among them Angel Masuli, President of the Radical Party; the former Minister of Public Words … (inaudible)… former Senator Raúl Cuero; Deputy Camilo Salvo, who was here with me; Julio Stuardo; Luis Corvalán was there; and I personally was held 42 days incommunicado. Luis Corvalán, for example, was kept, from the time he was arrested—and he can tell you this—a considerable time in a bathroom two meters by two meters. I personally was held 42 days in solitary confinement of course, without a radio, without anything to read, without a newspaper, without communication with my family—all day long… Cleaning the room was the only activity that we were allowed to have. At night, they did not let me sleep. They woke me up every half hour, asked me my name, made me show them my wrists. It was constant intimidation. After one week there, I was interrogated three consecutive times, by SENDET personnel, without physical maltreatment at that time, but with a rather strong psychological intimidation. I was threatened with the firing squad. They threatened my family. And at the end of the third interrogation, I was taken back with much violence to the room where I was being held. I was told that I could only sit down on the bed, and it was already late at night, around 10 o'clock at night. I was then prevented from sleeping, and I was even prevented from going to the bathroom. I could not take care of my minimum necessities. During all of that night, I could neither sleep nor go to the bathroom. And the next day, I was taken to a place where many of my companions were—and they can tell you about it—the War Academy of the Chilean Air Force, which is in Santiago, on the upper part of Las Condes Avenue. When I reached the War Academy, at first I wasn't able to identify where I was, because they had transferred me blindfolded and also handcuffed. I realized—I believe this is true—that we were in the Air Force Hospital. The truth is that it is rather close to the Air Force Hospital. I wasn't familiar with the establishment. I also realized later through the dishes and the food that it was an Air Force establishment. They took me there—kept me constantly blindfolded, constantly standing. I was kept there one week, but the harassment and maltreatment only lasted four days. I was continuously beaten, until I was taken to be interrogated in the evening with electric shock. That evening they interrogated me twice. Each session must have lasted several hours. The electric shock was applied to my penis and my temples. There are a number of persons who were subjected to it, but the dial was only given two turns for them. The  dial was given eight turns for me, to try it out, and I was given 50 to 70 shocks like that during the interrogation. The next day, I was interrogated by the Prosecutor's legal assistant; I was blindfolded. Then at the conclusion, he read me the statements that he had transcribed and made me sign it blindfolded. The next day, the changed the treatment and instead of interrogating me with electric shock, they subjected me to narcoanalysis. I don't have the slightest idea what I told them. It was only the following day that an officer interrogated me on the fact that under narcoanalysis, it seems I said that some of the militant members of my party of the Christian Left might have had personal weapons, as many people do. He told me to try to remember, and I told him that I had no information about that. I was there for four more days, with the light lit constantly and usually seated or standing, without being permitted to move, without communication with my family. During my interrogation, the person interrogating me even said: “Look, we can take all the time we want here, because neither your family nor anybody else knows you are here.” Actually, I learned afterward that my family had given me up for lost, and had no idea where I was. Now, the War Academy is under an Air Force Colonel called Horacio Oteiza. There is an officer under him, also of high level, who is called Barahona. There is also a lieutenant there. Later they had the unfortunate idea to take me back to the War Academy after I left Dawson. I was there with other companions, and this time under other conditions, and I was able to identify by his voice that the lieutenant was named García Huidobro. I want to tell you that at that very moment, when we were in the War Academy, for two and a half months, just before being transferred here, they were keeping constantly in the basement there some 50 to 60 persons, among them several women, with their eyes blindfolded; torturing them, with the light lit all day long; standing; with physical intimidation; in the permanent installation. And I am absolutely convinced that it will be difficult for you to get to that place. At this very moment, they are conducting continuous tortures there. When we sometimes heard persons screaming constantly there, they turned the radio on loud (interruption).


         Dr. Abranches: Can you repeat the full name of Lieutenant García?


         Prisoner: García Huidobro.


         Dr. Abranches: García Huidobro. And can you repeat your surname?


         Prisoner: My surname?


         Dr. Abranches: Yes.


         Prisoner: Yes I can, but I wouldn't want to have it recorded.


         Dr. Aréchaga: I would like to invite all of you, in whatever order you wish, to come close so that our recording will be as clear as possible.


         Prisoner: Very well, my name is Clodomiro Almeyda. Yes, thank you very much. I want briefly to tell you about my experience when, after being transferred to Santiago, I was taken two weeks later to the Air Force Academy where I was subjected to a treatment similar to that indicated by the person who previously gave his version of what happened to him. In my case, I was in that establishment about 40 days. For about one month I was kept blindfolded, night and day, and subjected to psychological intimidation, which even included the threat of the firing squad. I was held absolutely incommunicado until my wife arrived, when the Air Force authorities permitted me to see her. Throughout that time, I was constantly subject to psychological intimidation, including as I said being threatened with the firing squad, under the pretext of trying to escape or something of that kind. Of course under those conditions, I was not permitted to smoke, to read, or to have any contact with the outside. I slept handcuffed, with the light lit and music playing all night long. At times it was turned up to avoid our hearing what has being said in neighboring rooms, as the person who spoke before said. In the place where I was kept, I could see how the boys were treated, because the door was kept open. There were generally boys and girls. Many girls arrived at that establishment, and in that respect, I confirmed what we heard him say before. As was the case with the others, seeing this hurt me more even than what I experienced myself at that time.


         Dr. Aréchaga: Thank you.


         Dr. Aréchaga: I don't know whether you want to identify yourself before your statement, or whether you want to do it at all.


         Other prisoner: I don't know what the practice will be (interruption, and another prisoner speaks).


         Prisoner: I arrived on February 1 at the Tacna Regiment, and was transferred on the eighth of February to the Air Force War Academy. I remained there until April 3, when I was returned to Tacna. That is to say, I was there for almost two months—three days less than two months—and was held absolutely incommunicado, most of the time blindfolded. But here my case is different from what you have recorded before. I was tortured about as follows: I was totally undressed, and they put plastic cloths on each knee, on each wrist, and on each elbow. Then they made me squat down. Excuse me if I show you what happened, but you will understand it much better. So, seated like this, you put your hands here, tied, and then they put a pole here. Then they raise you and hang you on two sort-of  racks, so that if you breathe a little, must by breathing, you tend to move; this produces an imbalance, and causes the body to swing. When that happens, because one is resisting putting all of his weight on his wrists (and that's the reason for the plastic cloths, to avoid leaving marks), this produces a phenomenon that the doctor later—because after they torture you the doctor immediately sees you to see that you're in good condition to be able to continue receiving the tortures—said that this produces what they explained to me as scchymosis. That manifested itself with me as follows: this finger was absolutely paralyzed for some 20 days after the tortures, and even now I have no feeling at all in that entire part. I feel nothing, absolutely nothing; I was left without any feeling at all, but all of this is accompanied by connecting a magneto to the head of my penis. It still hurts, I don't suppose you want a demonstration here. And they also applied the current to the rectum. All of this takes place while you are hanging there, and of course, the electric shocks. I must tell you that I definitely recognize—although I was blindfolded—I definitely recognize the Air Force Colonel by his voice, because I saw him frequently. The man who blindfolded me is Lieutenant García Huidobro. He was the one who applied the plastic cloths—coffee colored plastic cloths. As for the other two interrogators, according to the physical description that I have absolutely clearly, one of them is a Commander named Barahona, and I do not know the surname of the other. I can tell you that, in any case, the tortures that I was subjected to were certainly considerably less than those applied to other persons. I saw them torture—because they don't even take any precautions about such things in view of the very nature of the place—a foreign journalist, who I later learned from reading in the “Times” was a Swiss journalist. I was talking a few days ago about this with Red Cross people. What happened with the journalist was as follows: They took me one day to the room where the “court” functioned, and while we were talking, I could hear, with my eyes blindfolded, the beatings that were going on in the next room, and the screams of a person who spoke in French. It was a very tense scene. Later, they took me from the “court”, they were removing that person from there, and he was in very very bad condition. Later, when I was transferred to the Tacna Regiment, where I had access to the press, I learned what had happened to a Swiss journalist. I talked with the Red Cross people, and they told me that actually, one of them had had the opportunity to talk with him in Geneva, when he left Chile, and he told me what I have just told you. Without intending to, I had been virtually an eyewitness. In summary, I can tell you that one of the most incredible torture centers—because I saw it personally—is the War Academy. I have no objection at all in giving you my name. I don't want my name tape recorded, but I have full confidence that in making this denunciation, my name is not going to be divulged to the military authorities of this government, because I have a family that has already suffered enough. That is all.


         This is Luis Corvalán speaking: The Commission Chairman asked in this morning's meeting, before we left for breakfast, the names of specific torturers that we might give him. Some names have been given, and it has been explained that not all of them can be given, because many persons were tortured while blindfolded. But I want to add that the present government stated several seeks ago in a public declaration that there are no tortures, and that if there have been any, if there have been any, they are foreign to the government's way of thinking and acting and would therefore be the responsibility of isolated officials. That is not true. The responsibility for the tortures falls to the government, and, first of all, to General Pinochet, because there is an entire apparatus set up. They have an entire apparatus set up, and these tortures continue as my companions who were in the Air Force Academy a week ago have testified. The members of the OAS Human Rights Commission will be able to hear in other concentration camps even more horrible stories, because I believe that those of us here have not been the worst victims of the physical maltreatment that has been employed. But it might be said that all of this is a necessary evil, things that had to be done in the face of X situation in which the country finds itself, and that is what the government is asserting. They maintain that we had a particular plan, plan Z, designed to do nothing less than decapitate the armed forces, to liquidate their entire officer corps. That is completely false. There was no such plan. Furthermore, General Pinochet in statements made to the Ercilla Magazine, in the first or second week of March—we had the opportunity to hear this interview on the radio before we lost the right on Dawson to listen to the radio—General Pinochet said at that time, that already in May, 1972, a group of high officers of the armed forces had reached the conclusion that the situation in Chile had no other solution than the military one. So that this was prepared, and everything that has been affirmed and that surely has been told to you members of the Human Rights Commission, about the Junta, to the effect that the previous government had violated the Constitution and the Law is also completely false. It has been stated that we used loopholes in the law. What are these so-called loopholes in the law? The use of particular decree laws issued, some of them in 1932, by administrations in exceptional circumstances, which had been used by many other administrations. It has been stated that we did not enforce the orders of the Judiciary. That is completely false, except as it relates somewhat to the eviction of land tenants. But on that subject—and I don't want to go into to many details—there is a very anachronistic law, and several governments—the government of President Frei for one—curtailed the application of eviction orders because the orders were inhumane. It has been maintained that the Supreme Court, the General Accounting Office, and the Chamber of Deputies arrived at the conclusion, which is set forth in very well known documents, that the government had acted illegally and they proclaimed this on behalf of the Constitution and the law. But these were all political statements, which were part of the creation of a climate designed solely to set up a coup d'etat and consummate the plans already made in May, 1972, according to the confession or declaration of General Pinochet himself. Well, where are we now? The least that could be said, the least that they do say, is that with respect to us the law is enforced, the state of siege is applied, emergency legislation is applied, which, according to the Junta, is in existence. And that's the way it is in all constituted countries. In all countries—and I am going to end with this—the State Political Constitution establishes that the government can resort to a state of siege or a law authorizing exceptional political authority, in addition to economic powers, but this must be authorized by Parliament. In addition the state of siege constitutionally authorizes—and this must be approved by Parliament—certain things that have been done. But they haven't merely censored the press here. The press that exists now is under censorship, but there are newspapers—four or five newspapers—that were prohibited from publishing. They were closed down, and there is no legislation in Chile authorizing any government to do that. So that we have a government that is absolutely arbitrary, absolutely illegal, absolutely unconstitutional, and even accepting the assumption for the sake of argument that we deviated in some measure from constitutional and legal criteria and obligations, well, this government had deviated from them absolutely. It has liquidated the rule of law that existed in this country. And Mr. Bianchi, who is a Chilean, knows perfectly well that there has never been in the history of Chile a dictatorship as brutal as that which our people unfortunately have and now suffer from. Thank you very much.


         Another prisoner speaks: Mr. Chairman, I wanted to speak today to denounce as an instrument of terror and oppression a so-called military operation functioning under the military command in investigations in Santiago. I do not know the situation in the provinces. When I was arrested by this military operation, I was taken to investigations and I want to denounce at this time the system that was used in that operation to interrogate prisoners. In round numbers there must have been approximately 100 to 120 persons continuously detained in the investigation cells. I was taken from my cell blindfolded, with my hands handcuffed behind my back. As you go from the cells in this place, there are three or four steps to go down and then another four or five that must be climbed to get to the second floor where the interrogation room was located. They began breaking the prisoner by giving him as he went down the stairs blindfolded and handcuffed, a cuff on the ears with the open palms, which in Chile we call “un cachuzaso.” This caused the prisoner to lose his balance and go tumbling down the stairs. He was then led to the second floor, and there they began a treatment with blows to the stomach with each question. They didn't care what the reply was; regardless of the reply, the blow in the stomach was immediately given. This was repeated until you fell to the floor several times. You were then led to another room and forced to disrobe. But under the pretext that the prisoner moved too slowly, his clothing was torn from him in shreds. After the prisoner was naked, the treatment with blows then continued. Each person who passed by—and I understand this happened to everybody—stomped on the prisoner's bare feet with the heels of their shoes. I had the bruises, the marks, on my toes for a long time until they went away… these hematomas produced by being stomped on by anybody who passed next to you. And then, while naked, they proceeded to apply electric shock. In my own case, I can only tell you that it was really brutal. Because at times they applied shock—as several of you have heard—on the penis, on the testicles, in the anus, in the mouth, in the nostrils, and on the temples, simultaneously. I recall clearly that I staggered all around the place, through all the rooms, because it was really terrible. And then they prevent the prisoner from drinking. According to what I have been told, drinking and applying electricity produces shock, so that for the five days the interrogation lasted, under that system, several times a day—I lost track and I can't say whether they interrogated me two or three times a day because I no longer was aware of whether it was night or day—and in addition when I was taken back to my cell food had already been distributed. Consequently I didn't have anything to drink. I fell into a state of loss of awareness, and of course I saw no other outcome than death. During those days I even thought that the best thing was to die rather than continuing suffering that kind of torture. Because the physical pain no longer mattered. Together with all of this was the psychological attack that they practiced with me and that they practiced with all of the prisoners. In the days following, I could see that all of the prisoners who were in that investigations wing under the military operation, all of them were tortured. And from the window or the peephole that the cells have, I could see how all of the prisoners who had been interrogated came back. They all came back dragging themselves along on their hands and knees, as I had done. I saw them come back every day in the same condition, having been beaten and shocked with electricity. There were whole groups there who had been rounded up in the factories or in the streets. I could see groups of 20 to 30 workers who had been taken from their factory. They were brought there, and subjected to al kinds of maltreatment and torture. Some of them left after one or two weeks. Others were transferred to other places of custody. I saw many of them when I was taken from the military operation to the Chilean Stadium. There I saw several whom I had seen in Investigations. I make this denunciation because, while this military operation has terminated in the way it was functioning. I believe that it is still valid because of what I have heard regarding the Air Force War Academy. Because just as there is an Air Force Prosecutor's office in that place, there are others in Santiago and in other locations in Chile places especially intended for the application of torture in these interrogations.


         Dr. Aréchaga: Excuse me, are you referring to the Air Force Prosecutor's Office on Agustinas Street?


         Prisoner: The Air Force Prosecutor's Office is in the same building as the Air Force War Academy.


         Dr. Aréchaga: Thank you.


         Prisoner: I have been informed that on Londres Street, there was a place where torture such as I described was used. I know from other persons who can tell you so, that these places are installed or transferred elsewhere. They terminated the military investigations operation apparently for reasons of police effectiveness. Because, when Investigations devoted all of its time to us, they could not carry out their duties of, let us say, fulfilling the obligations of their office. So the torture is being done elsewhere and continues today, just as has been said.


         Dr. Abranches: Can you give the dates on which the events in which you took part occurred?


         Prisoner: January of this year.


         Prisoner: I want to make a very brief specific denunciation regarding people who have disappeared and were murdered in the La Moneda Palace on September 11. I want to make clear that there was no fighting in La Moneda, because it was bombed from the air, and shelled from a distance, and army units only entered it when the people there had surrendered. There were a little less than 50 persons in La Moneda. Of those, only 14 came out alive. They were a group that was in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which was not damaged. Another group left to parley, on instructions of the President of the Republic, and there were some doctors who were found there wearing their white gowns. The rest of the people were killed afterwards. In La Moneda itself, nobody was wounded or killed except for ex-President Allende and the journalist Augusto Olivares. A group of about 40 persons surrendered, and they were taken to the Tacna Regiment. They have not been heard from since. Most of them have been found dead. I can give you specific names. The following were found in La Moneda and left it alive: the former Director of Investigations, Eduardo Paredes, the former Under Secretary of the Government, Arsenio (not audible), Dr. Enrique París, who was Council of the University of Chile, the sociologists Jorge Klein and Claudio Jimeno, the Superintendent of the Palace, the former Manager of the Central Bank, Jaime Barrios, the former Under Secretary of the Interior, Lautario Ojeda. Nothing has been heard of many many of these people, for example Lautario Ojeda and Jaime Barrios. We have heard that others were later found dead. In every case, those people were murdered after they left La Moneda and surrendered.


         Dr. Aréchaga: Are you referring to Claudio Jimeno?


         Prisoner: Yes, Claudio Jimeno, the sociologist who was working in an agency called CENOP, Center for the Study of Public Opinion, which was under the General Secretariat of the Government. The other sociologist, Jorge Klein, was working with him. Turning to another matter, I want to state also our complete lack of confidence in any legal proceedings that we might be subjected to by military justice, for the following reasons: the Chief of Staff himself and members of the Junta have on a number of occasions called us criminals and other epithets. How can we have confidence in the military justice that is under them?


         Dr. Aréchaga: Thank you.


G. Detention Facilities on the Quiriquina Island

And the Naval Base of Talcahuano


          40.          Professor Dunshee de Abranches and Dr. Holzman, after observing, together with Dr. Aréchaga, the trials held in Linares on July 30, 1974, went by automobile to Concepción on the 31st, accompanied by Colonel Espinoza, and Lieutenant Letelier, who had been designated by the Chilean Government for that mission. Dr. Aréchaga had to return directly from Linares to Santiago to attend to other duties.


          The city of Concepción is 525 kilometers from Santiago by asphalt road, and Quiriquina Island is in the Pacific Ocean near a peninsula northeast of Concepción, some 30 kilometers by a good highway which runs through the city of Talcahuano.


          The Commission representatives were lodged in the Hotel Araucano with the officials accompanying them. Protocol visits were made to the military commander of the area and the Commander of the Naval Base, Naval Captain Aníbal Aravena Miranda. They both stated that they had been informed of the purposes of our visit and offered us any assistance needed to carry out our mission.


          41.          We traveled to Quiriquina Island on a fast boat from the Base Command, which made the crossing in half the time taken by the boat used by non-commissioned personnel and families of the prisoners on visitors days.


          The island is two and a half miles long and 500 meters wide, mostly covered with abundant vegetation. The main buildings are the School for Apprentice Seamen, attended by almost 1,000 students, a club house, a gymnasium, about a dozen houses for the instructors and their families, etc.


          In a depression in the terrain, large barracks were constructed which serve as a detention facility, comprising dormitories, dining rooms, baths, and toilets, a small infirmary, and other rooms used by the guards.


          Some of the rooms of the barracks were unfinished, and the prisoners were working to finish them. The dormitories are collective, each one with about 50 four-tier beds. The baths and toilets of the barracks are still not in operation, so the baths in a temporary structure about 60 meters away are being used. The kitchen is primitive and is located in a shed separate from the barracks. The overall condition of the establishment was still unsatisfactory, but when the work is completed, it would be adequate. According to the prisoners' statements, the condition of the place was worse previously, but it had considerably improved in recent months.


          The food, which was being prepared at the time of the visit, was similar to that of other detention facilities visited by the Commission in the country. The military guards in the barracks reported that they receive the same food as the prisoners, but some of latter complained that they didn't get enough.


          42.          The prisoners were decently dressed and in general seemed healthy. They fell in in the yard to receive the Commission's visit and were informed by Professor Dunshee de Abranches of the purpose of the visit and that they had the right to speak in private with him and with his companion, Dr. Holzman. At first, the prisoners appeared somewhat reluctant, even when the authorities remained far enough away to ensure privacy. The reluctance gradually eased, and groups formed around each Commission representative. The prisoners then explained that they had suffered reprisals after having complained to foreign journalists who previously visited the island with the government's permission.


          Some of the prisoners reported that about 30 persons, whose names were contained on a list, were in the Naval Base, housed in the gymnasium, to which those who were to be submitted to interrogation were periodically taken.


          43.          The most relevant points of the complaints of the prisoners who spoke with the Commission representatives are the following:


          a)          Some of the prisoners have not had specific charges brought against them. They had a Prosecutor's hearing, but they continued to be deprived of their liberty, without means of supporting their families.


          b)          Some of them stated that they were subject to “beating” and other harassment during the interrogations, but they expressed fear of making specific complaints by giving the names and other means of identification of those who perpetrated the violence.


          c)          The complainant who provided the most specific information on the alleged harassment suffered during his interrogation was a prisoner accused of concealing a secret place for storing explosives after September 11, 1973.


          d)          Those who complained of having been subjected to acts of violence during their interrogation, indicated that although they had been taken blindfolded to the place utilized for such purpose, they would affirm that it was a building near the gymnasium of the Concepción Naval Base (Talcahuano), where the group of persons waiting interrogation were lodged, until they returned to the barracks on Quiriquina Island, or were transferred to another prison, or were released.


          e)          Another person stated that he had been arrested only because he was a member of leftist political parties, and that, in being interrogated, he was forced to sign statements without reading the text.


          44.          In view of the information supplied by those who made complaints during the Commission's visit to Quiriquina Island, Professor Dunshee de Abranches decided, after returning to the Naval Base, to request permission from the Commander to visit the gymnasium which allegedly housed persons whose names appeared on the list of prisoners but who were not on the island. After some hesitation by the authorities there, the Commission representatives and those accompanying them, were taken in an automobile from the landing facing Headquarters Command to the base gymnasium.


          45.          The gymnasium is located on a private road of the base, surrounded by other buildings and near the market which is open to marine officers and troops. It is a large solid and clean building. There were over 20 prisoners inside, some of them playing ball, others reading or talking, which showed that the visit was unexpected.


          46.          At the exact time when the Commission representatives entered the gymnasium, they saw a blindfolded person, in civilian clothes, led by two military guards, who had left the building to the left of the gymnasium, going east. Professor Dunshee de Abranches requested permission to speak with the prisoner, but the authorities refused citing security reasons and indicating that the person was being held incommunicado.


          The prisoners in the gymnasium received permission to speak in private with the Commission representatives, but only a few of them accepted the offer. These indicated that they had arrived there a short while ago and that they were receiving reasonable treatment. They had no complaints other than the delay of their trials and the deprivation of liberty without charges brought against them. They explained that some of them did not want to speak, because they expected to be released soon. None of them indicated that acts of violence were then taking place during the interrogations.


          When the Commission representatives terminated the visit, the person who had been seen with his eyes blindfolded and who could be identified by his physical appearance and clothing, came up to Professor Dunshee de Abranches. He stated that he had been subject to interrogation without any harassment, and that he had no other complaints but the desire to return to his home. He showed no outward signs of any physical violence.


H.       The Santiago Public Jail


          47.          The Commission Chairman and Executive Secretary visited the Santiago Public Jail on July 31.


          Yards 5 and 6 were reserved for political prisoners.


          The cells, which were very small, had a door leading to the yard. Tiered beds are against two walls. The length, which is the same as the wall against which they are standing, is barely enough for a man lying down. In some cells, we saw up to four beds in tiers. There are cells in which eight persons are living. The cells are filthy, and their only furnishing aside from the beds are some cans and rags.


          48.          The Commission Chairman talked with the following persons in sight of the jail personnel, without being molested. The main denunciations and charges are summarized:


          Nº 1.   Arrested six months ago. Was held in Investigations in Negra Island (San Antonio). Tortured—they tore off two of his toe nails and injured his fifth lumbar disc. Electric shock was applied to his eyes, causing cataracts. He can no longer see with the eyeglasses given to him by the Red Cross ten or twelve days ago. He says that the treatment is good in the jail.


          Nº 2    Arrested mid-June 1974. The person who made the arrest was recently identified in the Ninth Police Station. He is not a member of the Carabineros, Investigations, or Intelligence. The prisoner was not tortured. He belonged to the “Private Guards”, an agency authorized by decree with legal capacity since 1940. He was arrested for alleged usurpation of police functions. He has not yet testified to the Prosecutor. Received good treatment in the jail.


          Nº 3    Says that he did nothing after September 11, 1973. Electric shock in the Air Force War Academy. Blindfolded for 75 days. Worried about other companions he says have been tortured.


          Nº 4    Arrested by Investigations early in June, under weapons control law. His father, being very sick, tried to commit suicide with a caliber 32 or 38 revolver that he (the father) had in his possession. The son hid it from him, and that was how it had been found. He has not testified to the Prosecutor. Treatment in the jail is good.


          Nº 5    Arrested September 11, 1973. Accused of having killed a Carabinero. Had an automatic pistol that a C.U.T. leader had given him. He says that he fired only two shots to try to open a door, without hurting anybody. Three hundred and twenty workers were arrested. Nine (including him) attended the C.U.T. distribution of weapons, and five of them were arrested with him. He denies responsibility for the death of the Carabinero. Was sentenced by the War Council to life imprisonment, for planning the killing. He requests banishment or exile. Maintains that treatment in the jail is good.


          Nº 6    Was arrested 97 days ago. Was detained and tortured by the Carabineros. Was subjected to electric shock, beatings with chains, etc., until he was hospitalized late in April. Found a pistol that had been thrown away in Santiago, and not wanting to turn it in here, because he said others had been tortured, he took it to the Police Station in a nearby locality. They arrested him there for “carrying weapons.” Tortures caused a heart attack. A month ago his house was burned, and his 11-year old daughter was killed. Asks that his case be expedited and that he be permitted to see a lawyer.


          Nº 7    Arrested in September 1973 by Carabineros. Proceedings have not been initiated against him. His house was raided. He has eight children. No weapons were found. Subjected to physical torture.


          Nº 8    Arrested six months ago; shot at by a carabinero, because, according to him, they confused him with somebody else. Testified at the office of the Second Prosecutor of the Minister of Defense. Does not have a lawyer. Says that his detention is making him psychologically unbalanced.


          Nº 9    Toward mid-July, came to Talcahuano to visit a younger brother. Was arrested by carabineros, was subjected to kicks, punches, blows with rifle butts, was falsely accused of attacking a carabinero. Suffered fracture of a left rib, his coccyx and left arm. No political affiliation. Does not have money to pay a lawyer. Asks that a lawyer be assigned to him.


          Nº 10  After our visit to “Tres Álamos”, in which he made denunciations, they had transferred him in reprisal. That is what the Director of Tres Álamos had told him. Was in Chacabuco before. Has had no news of his family.


          Nº 11  Forty-five days of imprisonment. No criminal or political background. Fernando Andrade lent him a revolver and then denounced him. Now Andrade is also in detention. Asks that his case, 6/35, under the Weapons Control Law, be expedited.


          Nº 12  The death penalty has been asked in his case, now before the Santiago Court of Appeals. The only thing that concerns him is that his “adopted mother” is being frequently arrested and maltreated. They have sacked the house, and objects of value disappeared. He asks protection for her.


          Nº 13  A resident in Chile for 19 years. Arrested late in July, 1974 for alleged mistreatment of a carabinero (is getting on in years). He says that he complained to the carabineros because a cigarette vendor had treated him insolently. He was arrested and beaten. His left ear is visibly injured, and there are blood stains on his clothing.


          Nº 14  Arrested late September, 1973. Voluntarily reported when he learned that his companions were being arrested. Is part of the Bachelet2 trial, but has not yet been sentenced. Says was tortured in Air Force War Academy, in the School of Specialists, and in the Defense Ministry, in the room facing the Prosecutor's office.


          Nº 15  Detained since October, 1973. After a time, was transferred to the Specialized School, where he was tortured. The person responsible for the torture is Colonel Manfredini. He was “burned” with electric shock on the genitals and the anus. Was blindfolded during interrogation. Then taken to the Air Force War Academy, where he was not tortured, but asserts that they tortured others. They threatened to torture his wife, if he did not confess to having committed espionage for the U.P. He is also involved in the Bachelet case.


          Nº 16  Arrested late November 1973. Death penalty requested for him and was sentenced to life imprisonment for planning the mistreatment of a carabinero. Sixty/two members of the INDUMET were imprisoned with him, and he is the only one remaining. No political affiliation. Requests exile.


          47.          The Commission Executive Secretary talked with the following persons:


          Nº 17  Says was arrested September, 1973. Transferred to a police station in San Juan, where was tortured. Was transferred to the National Stadium, where he was beaten and electric shock was applied all over his body. Has been sentenced to five years in prison for having organized a group of workers. States that, at the police station, one of this companions named José Machado, was killed by a bullet in the chest.


          Nº 18  Arrested five months ago. Accused of attacking the armed forces. Says he was beaten and subjected to electric shock. He is a student, and his mother is taking the necessary steps to obtain his release.


          Nº 19  Arrested mid-September 1973. Was taken to the National Stadium where he remained 20 days, and then was transferred to jail. States that he was taken only once to the Prosecutor's office to testify.


          Nº 20  Was arrested three months ago for being a political activist. Says no proceedings against him.


          Nº 21  Arrested early in March 1974. Taken to the Carabineros Headquarters and then to jail. Said that he was accused of having violated the law on weapons control.


          Nº 22  His wife made a denunciation to the Commission in the Hotel Crillon. Was arrested in October 1973 and taken to Air Force facilities, where he was beaten for three hours and subjected to electric shock. Said that they hung him up and kept him there for two days. Is a union leader, and proceedings have been brought against him.


          Nº 23  His family submitted information to the Commission in the Hotel Crillon. Has been imprisoned for two months. Said that he was beaten in the Air Force installation. Is accused of offenses against the armed forces.


          Nº 24  Arrested two months ago. Is accused of belonging to leftist groups. No proceedings have been brought against him. Requests that he be tried and released, because he has to support his wife, his mother, and four children.


          Nº 25  Arrested in January 1974. Was in Tejas Verdes, the Chile Stadium, and later was transferred incommunicado to the Public Jail. Is accused of forming para-military brigades. Says he was tortured in Tejas Verdes. Married, with one daughter. His wise has visited him in the jail. Says that six of his comrades were executed in Tejas Verdes. He supplied their names and professions.


          Nº 26  Arrested a month ago and accused of falsifying documents for travel abroad. States that no proceedings have been brought against him, he has not been brought before the Prosecutor, and was held 18 days incommunicado. Requests he be tried or released.


          Nº 27  Arrested in October 1973. Said he was tortured in the Ministry of Defense and in the Air Force Specialists School. Was sentenced by lower court. Was accused of being a co perpetrator of robbery, and the Prosecutor requested a sentence of three years and one day in prison. Was acquitted of the charge, but was accused of rebellion, and the War Council sentenced him to 15 years in prison. Has tuberculosis and was hospitalized two months. Requests medical attention.


          Nº 28  Arrested in mid-May. Is accused of offenses against the armed forces. Was tortured and subjected to electric shock. Was kept blindfolded four days.


          Nº 29  Twenty years old, arrested in June 1974 and accused of wearing the army uniform. Denies the charges. No proceedings against him.


          Nº 30  Arrested in July 1974, accused of attacking the police. Says that there are no charges and that no proceedings have been instituted against him.


          Nº 31  Arrested in November 1973. Accused of having broken the weapons control law. Because they have very little money, his family, who live in the interior, cannot visit him. Says he was tortured and beaten.


          Nº 32  Arrested in October 1973 and taken to the Marine Camp in Valparaiso and from there to Chacabuco. Was released in five months and was free for six days. Was arrested again early in April 1974 and accused of belonging to the Communist Party. Said he was tortured in Valparaiso and was held incommunicado for three days. Has not been tortured in the Public Jail.


          Nº 33  Was arrested in February 1974, accused of breaking the weapons control law. Says he was beaten and tortured. Was subjected to electric shock. Was brought before the Prosecutor, where he was questioned with respect to the socialist leader Altamirano. Requests that proceedings against him be expedited.


          Nº 34. Arrested early in June 1974. Is accused of the crime of usurpation of functions. Requested that proceedings against him be expedited.


I. Chacabuco Detention Center


          50.          Ambassador Woodward and Commission official Dr. Gómez traveled to Antofagasta, by LADECO plane at 9:00 a.m. on July 30. Antofagasta is 1,395 kilometers from Santiago. The Director of the Chacabuco Prison, an army commander, did not keep his promise to receive Ambassador Woodward and Dr. Gómez at the airport at 12:00 noon. They looked everywhere in the airport for half an hour. The Director of the airport lent the visitors an automobile to get to the Hotel Turistica in the city. From there, they called Dr. Reque in Santiago and asked him to communicate with Colonel Espinoza so that he might call the Commander of the Chacabuco Prison.


          The Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Jorge Farias Rodríguez, arrived personally at the hotel at 4:30 p.m., much too late to visit the prison on that day, since its is 100 kilometers from Antofagasta, in the middle of the Atacama Desert, approximately halfway to Calama.


          Ambassador Woodward and Dr. Gómez made an appointment with Commander Farias to leave in a station wagon at 7:00 a.m. on the 31st, to interview as many prisoners as possible before returning to the airport to catch a plane at 3:00.


          51.          The Chacabuco Prison is in a town abandoned in 1925 by the saltpeter industry. The place was converted into a detention center in October 1973. The Commander said that some 5,000 persons were living in the town. The extremely dry climate preserves the barracks of the former miners, and the town includes large factories and warehouses, and a church of impressive size.


          The trip from Antofagasta to the Chacabuco camp in the station wagon took an hour and 15 minutes because of the early morning mist. The return trip, including time to change a tire, took exactly one hour.


          52.          The Political prisoners camp in Chacabuco houses 587 prisoners, after transferring 51 prisoners to Santiago on July 30. Lieutenant Colonel Farias, the Camp Commander, informed us that one of the prisoners was sentenced by a “War Council” and that the remaining 50 were released when they reached Santiago. He submitted copies of the relevant documents.


          53.          The Commission checked in the prisoners' records for the names of those persons who were reported in Santiago to be detained there. Of the total of 78 persons on the Commission's list, it was found that 72 were actually in the camp. The names of the persons not listed on the camp records are the following:


          -        Luis Fuentealba Muñoz: Arrested December 27, 1973, taken to the Chile Stadium and then to Tres Álamos. Is a graduate chemist educated in the U.S.S.R. (1966-72). According to the information, his documents are in the SENDET. Reportedly no charges against him.


          -        Eduardo Puebla Hermosilla: Arrested May 2, 1974, taken to the Sixth Police Station in Santiago and then to the Chile Stadium. Reportedly no charges against him.


          -        Patricio Corvalán Carrera: Arrested September 14, 1973, by personnel of the Investigations Service. Was detained in the Chile Stadium. An appeal was filed before the Santiago Court of Appeals, without result.


          -        Eugenio da Via Ferreira: It was reported in Chacabuco that he was in the Santiago jail serving his sentence, which according to the informant, would be completed on August 3, 1974.


          -        Claudio Mario Vargas Vargas: Arrested January 2, 1974, by the Investigations Service, and then on orders of the Military Intelligence Service, was successively transferred to the Chile Stadium, Santiago Jail, Tres Álamos, and from there to Chacabuco (according to data furnished in the SENDET). This prisoner was suffering from frequent internal hemorrhaging, and his state of health was very precarious, according to the claimants.


          -        Rolando Rosendo Rodríguez Aguirre: Arrested in the factory where he was working (Textil Progreso) on September 12, 1973, and taken to the Chile Stadium, then to the National Stadium, where he remained for two months, before being sent to Chacabuco.


          54.          Mr. Woodward requested the guards to call in two prisoners, with whom he held a brief interview to determine their physical condition and their status. In summary, he reported the following:


          a)          That both had been arrested six months ago, no charge of any kind had been brought against them and they had not even been interrogated.


          b)          That both had been severely beaten in a place called “House of the Bells”, in Santiago, at the time of their arrest. They were then taken to Tejas Verdes, where they had also been tortured, although no interrogation of any kind had been made.


          55.          The Commission then visited the camp barracks to contact the prisoners.


          Mr. Woodward interviewed the members of the so-called “Council of Elders” (presided over by Professor Gregorio Meno). The Council submitted a list of complaints on the conditions in the camp.


          In addition, the Council of Old Men reported the following, in summary:


          a)          The 587 men detained in Chacabuco were there without any specific charge against them. Of the 587 prisoners, 400 had been detained over 8 months. There were no women in the prison.


          b)          The main desire expressed by almost all of the prisoners was to return to the normal life of the country, to work and earn their living. The principal concern of most of them is the pressing economic situation of their families. A census taken by the prisoners indicates that the members of their families total over 1300. The National Red Cross and the Welfare Association give minimum assistance.


          c)          Conditions in Chacabuco are much better than those in other detention centers. Prisoner complaints are mainly that they themselves had had to organize most of the medical service, since there was little official care provided. It is very difficult to arrange hospitalization in real hospitals like the one in Antofagasta, except for the most urgent cases. Dental service is also deficient. The diet is not balanced, lacking fruit, vegetables and adequate protein. Some weeks, mail delivery (once a week) is capriciously delayed. Censorship (performed by the Catholic Chaplain) does not seem to cause complaints in itself.


          d)          The prisoners told us that most of them had been severely tortured in interrogation centers during the first few days of their detention. They spoke of a place they called “House of the Bells” (they are not sure of its address, having been taken to and from the place blindfolded and with hoods over their heads). The main forms of torture they mentioned were blows and electric shock all over their bodies. They have suffered no physical maltreatment in Chacabuco. One of the prisoners reported he had not been maltreated.


          e)          As for their worries about the economic and psychological status of their families, most of the prisoners stated they had been fired from their jobs because of their arrest. The “Secretary” of the prisoners' “Council of Elders” gave us a list of the 587 prisoners in Chacabuco at that time, indicating that proceedings against 384 of them had been dismissed and the status of all of the rest—except for 16 cases—is very indefinite.


          f)          At the present time, according to the data that we were given, there are 31 minors under 21 years of age detained in Chacabuco.


          g)          At the meeting with the Council of Delegates, almost all of them said they were forced to sign papers in the first few days after their arrest, without any possibility of knowing what they were signing, because they were blindfolded. In addition, because they were blindfolded, they were not able to identify their interrogators or torturers.


          h)          We were also informed that prisoners about to be released in Santiago were required to sign a document stating that they had never been maltreated.


          i)          All of them said that one of their biggest worries is that when they are released, or sent to Santiago allegedly for that purpose, they would again be subjected to new arrests or even to transfers to a place much worse than Chacabuco.


          j)          They felt that Chacabuco was obviously so isolated in the Atacama Desert that it was not a suitable place for political prisoners. There were no complaints regarding the limitation of visits. Visitors arrive by bus from Santiago and other regions of the country on Saturdays and Sundays. Over half of the prisoners are from Santiago. The buses take 16 hours from Santiago. One prisoner estimated that up to 200 visitors had arrived last Sunday.


          k)          There are currently no lawyer's visits because the prisoners do not have lawyers nor could they pay for lawyers. When I asked about this point, I got the impression that the idea of having a lawyer never had occurred to the prisoners. The Commander informed us that the President of the Press Club and three other men, including the Press Club's lawyer, visited nine journalists in the prison a few weeks ago. The Commander said there was no limitation on visits from lawyers.


          l)          There are six persons in the camp who have been “tried” by the “Council of War”, and they continue in detention, without any explanation. In the case of one of those prisoners, Eduardo Rojo Cortés, of Copiapó, the sentence was for 61 days (which had already been served). The other five prisoners were “acquitted” by the War Council, but they continued in prison. One of the other prisoners, Marcos Saavedra Brafman, who had been transferred to Chacabuco from the Bio Bio jail in Los Angeles, on April 24, 1974, received information some two weeks after his transfer, from his mother, that a “War Council” in Los Angeles had sentenced him to five years, without his presence at the “War Council” and without transmitting any information to him up to that time.


          m)          The International Red Cross had sent representatives to the camp two times for very brief periods.


          n)          There are two prisoners in the Chacabuco camp who are not political prisoners, according to the information given to Mr. Woodward when he asked about this point. However, the member of the Council of Delegates said that the political prisoners were not bothered by the presence of those two common criminals.


          o)          In the conversation about alleged “places of torture”, reference was made to Tejas Verdes. The prisoners in Chacabuco said that when visits were made to Tejas Verdes by groups or individuals such as the Commission members, the authorities transferred the prisoners temporarily in trucks to a nearby cold storage plant, or locked them up in trucks while the visits took place.


          56.          Despite the desire of the Commission representatives to talk personally with the greatest number of prisoners possible, and dividing up the work between Ambassador Woodward and Dr. Gómez, they were unable to do much more than to speak with groups of prisoners during the 3 hours and 30 minutes their visit to the camp lasted.


          57.          The prisoners informed us that treatment varied with changes in subordinate personnel: a platoon of some six non-commissioned officers was changed every two weeks. The Commander informed us that he tried to select the best qualified personnel from among the many non-commissioned officers of the regiment stationed in Antofagasta.


          58.          The Commission interviewed some of the 31 minors imprisoned in the camp. The following information was gathered, in summary:


          a)          That they were housed in the same barracks as adults, although in the case of Carlos Ayress Moreno, who was arrested together with his father, he preferred it that way, so that he could take care of his sick father.


          b)          They had been subjected to torture in the places where they had been previously detained after their arrest. In particular, one of them showed marks of having been tortured with electric shock on the back, shoulders, arms, chest, and genitals.


          c)          One of the minors had been held in the Chacabuco Camp for 10 months, by order of the former Minister of the Interior, General Bonilla. The reason for it was not known up to that time.


          d)          Even if they were immediately set free, the schools where some of them had been studying had cancelled their registration, and it was impossible to register in other schools because of the mere fact that they had been arrested, according to information their families had. They protested that the government policy with respect to minor students who had been arrested made it impossible for them to continue their studies in Chile.


          59.          Although, in general, most of the prisoners alleged that they had been victims of physical and psychological harassment, some of them insisted on giving specific details of their cases, as follows:


          Nº 1    Arrested in September 1973 by carabineros, taken to the Chile Stadium first, and then to the Tacna Regiment, to Tejas Verdes and Chacabuco. Shows various deep marks of maltreatment on the wrists, both arms, and the upper and lower back. Also shows lacerations and scarring on the genitals, which, according to one of the doctors imprisoned in the camp, can only be produced by the application of electric shock. According to the doctor, he may suffer permanent damage to the left testicle and scrotum.


          Nº 2    Arrested October 1973. Says he was beaten a number of times on the head and back at Tres Álamos and at Londres Street. Shows marks from maltreatment on the back and a wound (scarred) on the frontal region of his hand.


          60.          The Commander reported that a number of sports, cultural and handicraft activities were carried out in the camp, in which the prisoners participated. There was a sparsely equipped workshop in which the prisoners have begun making modest articles that they intend to sell in Antofagasta, to help somewhat with their needs. There is also a general store and a cooperative.


J.          Military Hospital


          Dr. Luis Reque, the Commission's Executive Secretary, visited this installation on August 2, 1974, at 11:00 a.m., accompanied by a Secretariat staff member. He was received by Commander Rubén Castillo Juay, the Military Deputy Director of the Military Hospital. Commander Castillo indicated that he had already received the visit of the International Red Cross representative. He indicated that Mr. Gonzalo Toro Garland, a political prisoner, was not in the hospital. The following persons were interviewed:


          1.       Mr. Tovar: Does not remember when he was arrested. Does not remember how long he has been in the hospital either. Says he was informed there were no charges against him.


                   Commander Castillo indicated that Mr. Tovar had been in the hospital since July 24, 1974.


          2.       Mr. Jaime Tohá: Was arrested September 11, 1973. Has been in the hospital for a week. Stated that his family had been informed that there are no charges against him and that he would be released after a series of medical examinations. He stated that he was on Dawson Island and that he was transferred to the Buin Regiment on May 8.


          3.       Mr. Jaime Jorquera: Stated that he was arrested on September 12, 1973, and that he had been hospitalized since July 15, 1974. Stated that there were no charges against him and that the authorities had informed his family he would be placed under house arrest. He stated that he had received visits from Red Cross officials; that he is a retired journalist, and that he had a 12.000 escudos pension, which had been cancelled. He indicated that he did not owe the government any money.


K.       San Bernardo Infantry School


          Ambassador Robert F. Woodward and Commission Executive Secretary, Dr. Luis Reque, visited this detention center on July 26, 1974, at 4:00 p.m.


          They were received by Colonel Pedro Gustavo Montalva, who told them that only four prisoners had been at that place, three of whom had been transferred to Santiago, so that at that time, the only remaining prisoner was Mr. Vladimiro Arellano Colima, the former Director of the Budget of the Treasury Department.


          Mr. Arellano Colima stated that he reported to the Defense Ministry on September 11, 1974, because he was called in by a military edict. He was transferred to the Military Academy and in four days was taken to Dawson Island where he remained until May 8, 1974, and then was transferred to the San Bernardo Infantry School.


          He stated that he had not received physical maltreatment in any establishment and that his wife visited him both in Punta Arenas and in San Bernardo.


          He said Colonel Montalva had stated he would be released in a few days.


Table of Contents | Previous | Next ]